Each year I like to reflect on the previous year & set new goals.
This blog post doesn’t have too much relevance to anyone apart from me but I have found value in looking back at the previous year and setting myself new goals.
I’d normally try & write this at the beginning of January so it’s probably a good reflection of how busy I have been that i’m doing this early Feb.
This year was a transitional year for me learning how to be a dad to my new daughter.
As a new parent I certainly have a lot less time that I took for granted previously (and less energy) so had to cut back on a few things – this also made me much more selective about what I spent my time on!
Highlights for me of the last year included:
Pluralsight – Edge for Developers course
Microsoft surprised everyone this year with the release of a browser to replace Internet Explorer. Despite a few annoyances and omissions (an extension model was the big one for me as meant no password managers etc) Edge is a massive step forward.
This year I released another course for Pluralsight that has been well received called Edge for Developers concentrating on those changes of interest to developers and site owners.
BuzzConf, Microsoft Ignite and Web Directions
I really enjoyed talking at a new technology focussed conference called BuzzConf on brain computer interfaces. It’s a mix of developer conference, hackathon & music festival.
We are going to be talking to the buzz conf guys about the possibility of running a DDD track at the next buzz conf so watch this space!
It was great to head up to the Gold Coast this year to talk about Microsoft Edge for Developers at Microsoft’s ignite conference.
Black belt in Taekwondo
It was great to reach the level of blackbelt in Taekwondo. I did feel that students were pushed quickly through the grading system & know I would have benefited from additional time spent on some aspects & was under no illusion that I have a long way to go to reach any level of mastery.
Practice Lead promotion
I was promoted to practice lead at my workplace – I really enjoy the opportunity amongst other things to focus on learning whats working and what is not working for our teams, helping teams work closer together, improving our processes, identifying educational opportunities & refining our induction and recruitment processes.
Visit Singapore and the UK
It was great to catch up with family and friends in the UK although flying with a 15 month year old was er not so fun.
After putting it off for some time we finally got around to selling our house & will very shortly be moving into a much larger house in a nicer suburb and around 1km from the beach!
I pretty much dedicated the last year to strength based training & worked with a great PT specializing in this area.
Weight training really rewards consistency & although I missed some of my original targets set last year (which were maybe optimistic) I was happy with the progress including a massive increase in deadlift.
One unexpected benefit I found was that heavy weights (especially 1RM squats!) can really test you psychologically and your state of mind can make a massive difference in terms of what you can lift. I believe that practicing something that scares you regularly helps you learn focus skills and be applied to other areas.
I made the following improvements 1RM numbers wise:
- Deadlift – 102kg -142kg (over double body weight!)
- Squat – 87kg – 107kg
- Bench – 75kg – 85kg
- Overhead Press – 50kg – 52.25kg
So for 2016 I have the following targets:
- I”m currently quite interested in Actor approach and playing with Akka.net. I have a personal project in mind to utilize this for
- Learn more about F# – I havent revisited F# in a while so think its time for another look
- React. I haven’t had too much of a play with this yet & intend to work with this as part of my personal project.
- Talk at NDC Sydney & Microsoft Ignite
- Get back into the Cross Fit/cross training. I focussed more on strength this year and really missed that burn of good cross training workout
- I’d like to be able to do a bar muscle up by the end of the year
- Weights – Deadlift to 155kg, Squat to 115kg, Bench to 90kg, Press to 56kg.
- Get back into healthy eating – my current diets a bit crap which is a mix of laziness & tiredness. I kicked this off with some advice from a friend of mine currently training to be a nutritionist
I wish you all the best for your own 2016!